Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     Radio

Board index » Computer Discussions » Hardware Talk

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:50 am 
SUPER USER

Intel Atom D425, D525 Processors Boost Processing Speed

Intel's Atom D425 and D525 chipsets support double-data-rate three small outline dual in-line memory modules, also known as DDR3 SODIMM.

Chipmaker Intel Corp. announced two additional Intel Atom processors, the 1.8GHz D425 single-core and D525 dual-core, that boost processor speed and supports a new memory technology and are aimed at home or small to medium-size business (SMB) storage appliances. With higher CPU frequencies for faster storage processing, the chips will support memory technology such as double-data-rate three small outline dual in-line memory modules, also known as DDR3 SODIMM.

The Atom processors are paired with the Intel 82801 IR input/output (I/O) Controller, and both additions to the storage platform offer the ability to support Microsoft Windows Home Server and open source Linux operating systems. Intel boasted storage vendors Acer, Cisco, LaCie, LG Electronics, Netgear, QNAP, Synology and others have adopted the Intel Atom processor-based platform into products that are currently available.

An intelligent I/O processor offloads I/O processing functions, such as I/O interrupt processing and parity calculations, from the CPU. This allows the CPU to streamline application processing and to use other system resources, such as the system bus and memory, more effectively. Intel said I/O processors allow servers, workstations and storage subsystems to transfer data faster, reduce communication bottlenecks, and improve overall system performance.

“Networked storage appliances based on the Intel Atom processor platform enable consumers and businesses to organize, manage, protect and share documents, photos, videos and music throughout the home or office,” said Dinesh Rao, product line manager for Intel Storage Group. “The versatile Atom processor, which is at the heart of a growing variety of small, innovative, Internet-connected devices, makes it possible for storage vendors to develop low-power appliances that can innocuously sit on a desk or shelf while keeping digital content safe and available anytime, anywhere.”

Erwan Girard, LaCie Solutions business unit manager, said their recently introduced two storage servers, which leverage Intel’s Atom processor technology to deliver enterprise-level storage capabilities to small and medium businesses, were previously only experienced in large, corporate environments. “The new servers include the perfect mix of corporate-grade features and intuitive management software, enclosed in an award-winning 5big design for your desktop, allowing these products to fit seamlessly into any business environment,” Girard said.

Board index » Computer Discussions » Hardware Talk